July 5, 2013

Travel Memories: Lebanon

A year ago, one of my travel dreams came true when I went to Lebanon.Growing up, I was constantly exposed to the Lebanese culture and food, and I thought 'if it's great here, it can only be better in the homeland!' And I was right!

I won't lie, I had many concerns before heading to Lebanon. Although it is a beautiful country with beautiful beaches and people, it happens to be in a very volatile region of the world.Without going into the details, there is never a dull day in and around Lebanon with the many ongoing conflicts. As I was told, it only takes one seemingly benign event to have s**t hit the fan! So, though on the surface the average Lebanese appears cool, calm and collected, s/he remains on alert, because you just never know...

And to top it all off, I was concerned with the way I would be perceived and treated as a visible minority in Lebanon. Because the visible minority in Lebanon, usually from India, Pakistan, the Philippines and Ethiopia, are the ones who do menial jobs; the maid, the garbage man, the construction worker, etc. And there's usually not that much more else they can do, partly because they don't speak the language and also because they don't have access to the proper documentation. The good news is that steps are being taken so that discrimination does not go unnoticed, as per this video.

Well, I can gladly say that none of those concerns came into effect. I felt safe the whole time I was there, and people were friendly and welcoming. Perhaps I felt this way because I was staying with one of my closest friends, and her friends and family made me feel like I was one of their own. Sometimes I wonder if my experience would have been the same if I had gone on my own, with no one to turn to. It definitely helps to be with people who speak the  language and know how things work. I am all for solo-travelling, but Lebanon is probably not a country I would have gone to on my own.

Don't get me wrong, I will go t back to Lebanon, most likely for 'family' business rather than vacation. Yes, because I left Lebanon with more than a bigger waistline and greater appreciation of its culture; I left with a new extended family that I hope to see again in a near future.
Me and my  'cousin' enjoying the view!


Breakfast!




Getting ready for Ramadan

No comments:

Post a Comment